Tag Archive for: mold

By Anna Powers, ND, Bioenergetic Practitioner

Mold is part of the cleanup crew of life. It helps break down debris, so it can return to the earth.
To grow, mold needs high humidity and a cellulose-based fuel source such as wood, plants or sheetrock. Mold spores can be tracked into our homes from shoes, clothing, pets, plants, and used furniture to name a few. High humidity enables the spores to proliferate on walls, furniture and carpets.

While the presence of mold in a home can be simply a nuisance to some, it can create significant health issues for others. About 25% of the population is allergic to mold and/or lacks the ability to process it within their bodies. That is why one member of the family can be fine and another member of the family can become extremely ill.

In sensitive individuals, mold exposure can cause immune suppression, eye irritation, inflammation, wheezing, coughing, asthma, sinusitis, headaches, tinnitus, dizziness, nausea, poor memory, digestive issues, fibromyalgia, joint pain, fatigue, brain fog, insomnia, numbness, tingling, rashes, lethargy, rapid weight gain, Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS) and more.
Of course, mold is not the only cause of these symptoms.

Mold spores enter the body through the sinuses or lungs, which provide a moist environment to breed. In 1999, Mayo Clinic researchers studied 210 patients with chronic sinusitis and discovered fungus in 96% of the patients’ mucus. They identified a total of 40 different kinds of fungi in these patients, with an average of 2.7 kinds per patient.

Once a patient is removed from a toxic mold environment, the detoxification process requires time and patience. It typically involves supporting the nervous system and vagal system, opening the body’s detoxification pathways such as the lymph, liver, and kidneys, and adding binders to escort the mold and mycotoxins out of the body.

The best way to prevent mold growing in your living spaces is to keep the humidity below 50% and clean your home regularly. A humidity meter can be purchased to monitor levels. If humidity is above 50%, it’s best to get a whole house dehumidifier, or a portable one for affordability. If a leak is found, it needs to be fixed immediately.

If mold is found in porous areas of your home, whatever you do, do NOT bleach it! Bleach only kills mold on non-porous surfaces such as a stainless steel sink. Since bleach is over 90% water, spraying bleach on a porous surface, such as drywall, only lightens the mold and evaporates it on the surface. It is still able to saturate the sheetrock underneath with water, enabling the mold “roots” to proliferate. In addition, bleach is thought to cause mold to release mycotoxins, which can be much more toxic than mold itself. Mycotoxins attach to dust particles that are carried throughout the home and create a much bigger problem.

We suggest using EC3 Mold Spray because it works by disrupting the chitin shell of the mold spore so that it is non-viable and cannot proliferate. It doesn’t clean mold or stain, but it does reduce its toxic impact.

If you suspect mold growth in your home, you need to remediate a leak, or you want to clean the air ducts, it’s optimal to use a professional service who understands the physiological impact of mold and can help you determine if there is a mold problem and how to remediate it safely. Here are some questions to ask:

  • How long have you been in business?
  • Do you use negative pressure containment around the contaminated area?
  • How do you ensure workers in the contaminated area do not spread mold through the rest of the house?
  • Do you use an air scrubber after mold is removed?
  • Do you use a third-party company to perform before and after air quality tests?
  • Do you offer a warranty?
  • Do you have three customers I can speak with?

If you suspect mold is impacting your health, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with one of Longevity’s knowledgeable and experienced bioenergetic practitioners. Our team can help you identify if mold or other toxins are burdening your system, and help you with a customized detoxification protocol. Learn more at LongevityHealth.com.

By Robby Brown, BreatheWell Air 


My relationship with Longevity began over 15 years ago when I was referred by a friend after I discovered we had mold in our home and learned that I am highly allergic to mold. That relationship has grown and evolved over the years and now I have the privilege of assisting many Longevity patients as they seek to improve their indoor air quality (IAQ).

Once you realize you are in the “mold club” which 1 in 4 people are prone to be, you recognize that mold lurks not only at home but also work, shopping, hotels, vacation rentals, and – even worse- relatives’ homes! That is why I am passionate about helping others navigate the broad issue of IAQ and the specific problems presented by mold.

Our goal is to advise our customers by identifying IAQ issues they face and develop and implement a plan to remedy. In implementation we take a layered approach- meaning we start with the remedies that are deemed essential and then reevaluate afterwards to determine if further action is required. Not only is this approach prudent but it enables our customers to take steps as their budget allows.

For those of us who live in the humid southeast, mold is a dominant IAQ problem. Following are a few important facts to consider when evaluating mold issues:

  • Most mold we encounter is not obvious black spots on a wall (more typical of water leaks) but a more subtle, vague, grayish color which is not easily recognizable.
  • The two most critical factors involved with all mold growth are:
    • Controlling humidity
    • Eliminating food sources for mold
  • Humidity in your home must be kept below 50% to control mold growth. This includes both conditioned and unconditioned spaces like crawl space or unfinished basement.
  • In most mold situations, large commercial dehumidifiers ducted into the HVAC system are required to control humidity. Typically, small portable dehumidifiers are not enough to control whole-house humidity.
  • One of the most surprising but common sources of mold is found in the HVAC system. Besides poor filtration, a major issue we see frequently is plenums (or even trunk lines) made of duct board. This is a fibrous material and when cold, moist AC air is added it becomes like a petri dish and mold flourishes. The only solution is removing and replacing with sheet metal.

When assessing mold each situation is unique and often we identify problems without running a mold test. However, when a test is required we use AirAnswers- a recently developed, patented testing device which we run for 24-hours. During the test period the silent device captures over 200,000 liters of air on a steel cartridge. The cartridge is shipped to a lab for testing to determine if live, active mold is growing and then genera, and/or mycotoxins tests are available as needed. Much like the food we buy, this process puts a “nutritional label” on your air.

Last, while much of our business as well as the above information is mold related, the importance of IAQ and proper filtration is often overlooked. It is estimated that we spend 90% of our time indoors. Thus, the obvious importance of breathing healthy air which by definition is determined by the number and size particles in the air we breathe. The problem is that particles are unseen and according to the medical experts such as American Lung Association and American Heart Association, the smaller particles cause the most damage to our health.

It is very common in homes and smaller office environments to only have 1-inch filters (measuring depth). Generally, these do not filter out the smaller particles and mostly capture larger particles like dust. We use a laser particle scanner to test each environment and focus on the ultrafine particle sizes. To provide some context, the width of a human hair is about 100 microns in width. Ultrafine particle sizes we measure are 2.5 micron and 0.03 microns. These unseen tiny particles are the most dangerous as they are so small that they can enter our bloodstream and go to our heart, lungs, etc.

A valuable step in improving IAQ is to have a more significant filter cabinet installed and we recommend a 5-inch depth and use a high-grade MERV filter to make significant improvements in IAQ. This, along with high quality portable air purifiers, can make a significant impact on the quality of air you breathe and on your overall health.

In summary, IAQ is no respecter of house size or price. All houses are basic structures with HVAC systems and face the same environmental issues. But be encouraged as virtually all IAQ issues can be resolved and you can BreatheWell in your home.

Learn more at https://www.breathewellair.com/