Brain Mapping, also known as Quantitative Electroencephalogram (QEEG), is a tool which measures electrical activity in the form of brainwave patterns. These patterns tell us how your brain cells are communicating and helps us create neurofeedback protocol specific to your brain’s needs. It is a painless, non-invasive procedure that takes about 90 minutes and helps by:
- Showing how your brainwave patterns can be improved
- Tracking your progress with different therapies and interventions
- Providing objective information used to create your personalized neurofeedback program
What is NeuroFeedback (NFB)?
NeuroFeedback is a fun, interactive, engaging, and calm intervention that helps you strengthen and retrain your brain to a healthier, more focused state. Generally, a QEEG session is conducted first to provide additional data for each client’s NFB protocol. This specialized treatment uses advanced computer technology for balancing and optimizing the brain.
NFB is a powerful method of biofeedback that swiftly trains the brain. By monitoring the electrical activity in the brain, NFB enhances the ‘positive’ and inhibits the ‘negative’ activity. These results are achieved by a simple system of reward. All the patient has to do is relax while the brain efficiently discovers a better way to operate.
How does NeuroFeedback Work?
Sensors are placed on the scalp to record brainwave activity. Through “operant conditioning” some frequency bands are encouraged, while others are discouraged. By rewarding the brain each time it produces the desired frequency, the brain learns to regulate its activity.
Often areas of our brains are operating sub-optimally, either too slow or too fast. These out-of-balance patterns can easily lock in automatic unfavorable behaviors and impact our quality of life. Fortunately, regardless of age, our brains are always capable of learning. NFB helps your mind work in a more relaxed and efficient manner.
- Students and professionals can become more focused in their work and relaxed when taking tests or giving presentations
- Athletes can improve concentration and performance
- Everyone can improve their overall mood and state of mind
What Conditions Does NeuroFeedback Help?
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Sleep problems
- Traumatic brain injury/concussions
What Can Be Expected At Each NFB Session?
- A session takes about 45 minutes from start to finish
- The optimal frequency is 1-2 sessions per week
- The total number of sessions needed varies, but typically clients reach their goals in 30-60 sessions
- Two sensors are placed on specific points on the head to read the brain waves
- No electrical current is put into the body
- NFB has no known adverse effects
How long do the results last with NFB?
The effects and benefits of neurofeedback training last long after the training itself has stopped. Because the brain has actually learned (or relearned) a more efficient way of performing, it will continue in this way as new neural pathways are created, thus making lasting change the path of least effort.