By Dr. Alice Honican, ND L.Ac. Bio-Energetic Practitioner
I have now been practicing Acupuncture and Naturopathic Medicine at Longevity for 18 years! Every case I see is different, and I have the job of being an investigator, attempting to get to the root cause of patients’ symptoms. Why does she have migraines? Why does he feel so rundown? Why won’t the chronic hives go away? Why does this food suddenly make her feel sick?
Through urinalysis, Thermography, and Bio-energetic testing, I am able to determine which organs are overburdened, which foods are causing sensitivities, what nutrients are deficient, and what toxins are stressing the system. Then, I recommend a tailored detoxification and nutrition protocol.
These regiments require commitment, resources, and a lot of patience! Believe me, I wish all my patients could be in perfect health after one visit. However, the human body is complicated, and lasting health is a marathon, not a sprint.
It takes more than one yoga class to become flexible and meditate without distraction. It takes more than one day of dieting to be at your goal weight. When you leave the dentist, and your teeth are sparkling from all the plaque removal, you have to go back in six months to do it all again.
In the same way, detoxification is not a one and done. Toxins are always bombarding us, and it is important to cleanse the body regularly for a vibrant quality of life. An investment in your health and vitality is always worth it!
As a holistic practitioner, I truly believe in the importance of regular detoxification. This time of year, with all its fresh beauty, new life, and warmer temperatures, is a great reminder to do some “spring cleaning” for our bodies. Here are five suggestions to inspire you in your cleansing efforts this season.
- Get moving! Working out and getting a good sweat going is a great way to detox the lymphatic system, promoting the removal of toxins from the body. Warmer weather is a great excuse to opt outside for a run, walk, or hike. Bring your pet so your furry friend can detox and shake off the winter blues with you!
- Hydrate. After you’ve done all that sweating, be sure to replenish electrolytes with minerals and plenty of pure water. Drink half your body weight in ounces each day to promote healthy waste removal, clear skin, optimal digestion, and good joint function.
- Try HOCATT. This personal steam sauna system can address and improve your physical health and well-being. It fights viruses, bacteria, and other pathogens, and burns up to 600 calories per session. Call or stop by our office to learn more about this amazing supporting therapy and all its benefits.
- Adapt an anti-inflammatory diet. Eliminate pro-inflammatory foods like gluten, dairy, soy, and sugar from your diet wherever you can. I recommend doing a program like Whole30 or 21 Day Sugar Detox twice a year to reset the immune system and metabolism. Spring is the perfect time to add in more greens, smoothies, salads, and other fruits and veggies high in immune-boosting nutrition.
- Renew your mind. As long as you’re focusing on removing toxins from your system, why not eliminate those thoughts as well? Incorporate a daily yoga, mediation, or prayer practice to identify and eliminate thoughts and beliefs that are not serving you physically, emotionally, or spiritually, replacing them with life-giving, soul-restoring truths. Even 5 minutes of intentional time each day setting intentions and practicing gratitude can make a major difference in your mind, body, and spirit!
For a comprehensive check-up and thorough detox protocol tailored specifically to you, come see me or one of our other qualified and experienced practitioners for an office visit.