Pink is the New Orange
An Alternative Approach to Breast Health
You’ve undoubtedly noticed the hugely successful marketing campaign of Breast Cancer Awareness each October in recent years. You can’t drive down the street, walk into a grocery store, turn on the television, or even attend a tiny tikes football game without being bombarded with images of bright pink ribbons all around! And it isn’t just in the media. It seems that every day we hear another story. Nearly all of us have been touched by a personal family member or friend who has undergone breast cancer diagnosis and treatment. It is truly heart-breaking to witness those closest to us experience the emotional and physical trauma of one appointment after another of painful tests, procedures and treatments. Mammograms, ultrasounds, biopsies, mastectomies, chemotherapy, radiation, medications…we wouldn’t wish these invasive measures on our worst enemies, and we fear what decisions we would have to make if it were our own mother, daughter, sister, aunt, or even ourselves. We are told that “early detection” is the key to saving our lives. And yet, by the time cancer is detected, we often feel that we have little say in how treatment will play out.
At Longevity Health Center, we want to take a different approach to breast health. We believe that by empowering our patients with the knowledge and tools necessary to detoxify and heal the body, we can hope to prevent this horrible disease from robbing us of the joy and vitality that comes with wellness. It is in this spirit that we offer many of our services and protocols.
Thermography is an FDA approved non-invasive method of evaluating your body’s organ systems. Testing is performed by measuring body temperature at many different points on the skin which correspond to specific internal organs and tissues. By measuring the temperature of many different points on the skin before and after a cold stimulus, we can monitor changes in circulation. The actual temperature, as well as how it changes in response to the cold stimulus, provides information about how well the organs and tissues are functioning and how they deal with physiological stress. Thermography can display the beginnings of disease in focal areas that other diagnostic methods may miss.
Breast Ultrasound (HERScan)
Longevity has partnered with this fabulous service to conveniently offer breast ultrasound at our clinic! Ultrasound has many advantages over mammograms including a significant increase in early detection, while also being painless, using no compression or radiation. For more information, visit www.herscan.com
This therapy utilizes a device known as the Photon Genie to generate frequencies that, when combined with the manual application from a technician, stimulate lymphatic drainage. This has many health benefits, including, but not limited to:
- Stimulating and strengthening the immune system.
- Reducing and eliminating pain.
- Ozonating and Oxygenating the body.
- Moving and balancing fluid systems of the body through all the channels (blood vessels, lymph, capillaries) for the transport of nutrition and vital energy and the proper management of toxins by the body.
- Devitalizing pathogens, clearing infections, slowing and reversing disease processes.
The image below depicts a thermographic image of the same woman before and after a series of 10 Lymphatic Drainage treatments done over a four-month period at our office. As you can see, this therapy, when combined with healthy nutrition and detoxifying protocols, is highly effective in reducing lymphatic rigidity and inflammation!
The acronym HOCATT stands for “hyper-thermic oxygen and carbonic acid transdermal therapy.” The HOCATT acts as a personal steam sauna, in which a person sits with just his/her head exposed to room air, while the body receives the benefits of infusion through the skin of tri-oxygen, carbonic acid, steam, infra-red light, photon light therapy, oxygen and aroma therapy. There are also TENS unit like programs that can treat painful areas. This sauna treatment is now in use in over 20 countries. It is safe, pleasant and effective for all people seeking vibrant health or pain control. The HOCATT is an amazing therapy to assist in detoxification.
Dry Skin Brushing and Rebounding:
These are two easy at-home remedies to help mechanically support lymphatic drainage.
Dry Skin Brushing exfoliates the skin, but also assists detoxification by increasing blood circulation and promoting lymphatic flow and drainage. Using a light stroke, you use a dry bristle brush to stimulate lymphatic flow (always going in the direction of the heart!). There is plenty more information available online regarding dry brushing, or we are happy to answer any questions you might have.
Rebounding is a simple exercise performed on a small trampoline (or a large one works, too, if you want to get outside and play with the kids!). The contraction of the muscles and the gravitational impact will stimulate the lymphatic fluid to flow. Since, unlike the circulatory system, the lymphatic system does not have a pump to move it through, it is pertinent that we utilize physical movement or manual stimulation to move the lymphatic fluid. It is the difference between flowing water and a stagnant pond– pathogens cannot thrive in a moving stream, but are able to proliferate in stagnant waters. Just 5-10 minutes a day on a rebounder can make a huge difference for the lymphatic system, and consequently your breast health!
Breast Massage Using “Breast Oil”
This blend of essential oils was specially formulated right here at Longevity. It includes Lavender to balance hormones and Frankincense for cellular health, in a base of St. John’s Wort Oil for its anti-inflammatory and mood lifting effects. We recommend this product to be applied nightly directly to the breast tissue and massaged in for 5 or more minutes.
Nutritional Supplements and Herbal Remedies
There are a few different ways to benefit from Nutritional Supplements and herbs for breast health. First, herbs can directly influence hormone balance. Secondly, herbs can stimulate lymphatic drainage and since the breast tissue is largely lymphatic tissue, this can be tremendously helpful. Lastly, herbs will help cleanse and support the liver. This may, at first glance, seem unrelated to breast health. But since the liver is responsible for so much of the chemical processing that occurs in the body, keeping the liver in tip-top shape will give us a major leg up when it comes to hormone balance and tissue integrity.
Some of our favorite nutritional products and herbal blends for women’s health are:
- DIM-Evail (Designs for Health) – Indole-3-Carbinol is a bioactive compound found in cruciferous vegetables. When ingested, stomach acid converts Indole-3-Carbinol into DIM (Diindolylmethane). Much research has shown that high doses of DIM inhibits the conversion of testosterone into estrogen and converts bad estrogens (those linked to breast cancer) to good estrogens (good estrogen keeps cholesterol levels in healthy range, protects bone health and affects the brain, heart, skin and other tissues). Supplementing with a DIM product is also a great option for women considered at risk for estrogen driven breast cancer or those who have tested high in estrogen.
- Balance (OrthoMolecular) – This formula contains Licorice, Peony, and Chaste Berry (Vitex), all renowned herbs for their hormone balancing properties. This formula helps maintain a healthy menstrual cycle, progesterone/estrogen ratios, and optimal prolactin levels. The ingredients in this product have been widely studied for their effectiveness, tolerability, and safety. It has been shown to be helpful for women who suffer hormonal symptoms such as irritability, mood alteration, anger, headaches, bloating and breast fullness.
- Woman’s Balance (Health Concern) – This formula is based on an ancient Chinese formula that has been employed for centuries to address hormone imbalances that cause symptoms such as PMS, abdominal bloating, breast tenderness and swelling, menstrual irregularity, menopausal distress. It invigorates a congested liver, nourishes the blood, strengthens digestion, and can even relieve mild depression.
- Three Immortals (Health Concern) – This herbal blend is formulated specifically for menopausal symptoms, including night sweats, hot flashes, headaches, irritability, palpitations, vertigo, depression, insomnia, low back pain, hot palms and soles and lowered sex drives.
- Core Scrofulara (Energetix) – This is a powerful spagyric botanical remedy formulated to provide effective drainage of the lymph, blood and spleen. It is an invaluable remedy when there are signs of lymphatic congestion affecting breast health.
This October, Longevity Health Center wants to be part of the conversation when it comes to Women’s Breast Cancer awareness, and prevention! Call our office today to schedule your annual thermography and bio-energetic evaluation so that we can get you started on a great plan for not only breast health, but whole-body health. And remember, early detection is key, but prevention is even better!