By Mariela Amiri, Traditional Naturopath & Patient Coordinator
In my early twenties, I wanted to enhance the way I looked. Like so many young impressionable women, I was motivated by what I saw on magazines, ads, billboards, television and movies. It was a time when plastic surgery became highly acceptable and affordable. Without much hesitation and research, I decided I would have a breast augmentation procedure. At that time I never would have imagined that years later, my breast implants would eventually cause me many serious health issues.
Today, breast implants are considered to be a major contributor to unexplained health problems to many women who have them. Breast Implant Illness is the term used by many clinicians and patients to describe these chronic symptoms. Breast implants have been loosely linked to many illnesses. Common systemic symptoms include autoimmune conditions, dry eyes, hair loss, skin issues, brain fog, headaches, overgrowth of yeast, fatigue, joint pain, high viral load, lowered immunity, capsular contraction, anxiety/depression, weight changes and other illnesses.
Heavy metals are used in the manufacturing of ALL (saline & silicone) types of breast implants. Lead, mercury, aluminum, nickel, cadmium, are just some of the metals used. Heavy metals are considered neurotoxic, which means they affect the brain and the central nervous system. These heavy metals get deposited in tissue and bones, displace minerals and disrupt metabolic functions. Toxic heavy metals can cause damage by interfering, blocking and depleting many aspects of the body. Additionally, silicone leakage is a risk factor for women who have silicone implants.
A few years ago, after much thought and consideration, I decided to undergo breast implant removal surgery with total capsulectomy (the removal of the capsule that forms around the implant). Immediately after surgery, some of my most concerning symptoms such as shortness of breath and pain had disappeared. The healing process had begun. I partnered with my surgeon and Longevity to continue the process.
Healing from explant surgery involves restoring equilibrium by reducing the toxic overload and supporting the organs and systems of the body that have been offset by the foreign interference. Reducing toxic interference in all forms is the basis for healing. This is a time to re-establish a core of foundations of health: nutrition, water, rest, sunlight, movement body work and prayer/meditation.
- Hydration – It is recommended to drink at least ½ your body weight in ounces of clean water daily to aid in healing, support organs and help with detoxification.
- Good nutrition – This is key and necessary for healing. Provide your body with whole, organic foods, non-GMO diet full of dark green vegetables, fruits, lean meats, and high fiber. These foods will support detoxification, lower inflammation, and boost up the immune system. Avoid gluten, dairy, soy, sugar as much as possible, as these foods contribute to inflammation.
- Repair – Support the body with specific herbals, nutrients, high-quality supplements and homeopathic remedies that are best suited for the person. Supporting the liver, kidneys, skin, bowels and gastrointestinal tract is key. These various systems need to be running smoothly before starting the detoxification process, this is so that the body can have the right environment to be able to detoxify.
- Recover – Sleep and rest is essential for healing. It is recommended to sleep 8 hours or more night.
- Detoxify – Cleanse the body of pathogens, viruses and heavy metals with herbals, homeopathic remedies, and supplements. We recommend going slow with the detox in order to prevent a strong detox reaction. This is a great time to add in a series of supporting therapies to help the body rid itself of toxins:
- Electro- Lymphatic Therapy: stimulates the flow of the lymph fluid throughout the body assisting in the elimination of waste. This therapy is non-invasive, safe and effective. It reduces pain, strengthens and simulates the immune system, devitalizes pathogens and eliminates blockages.
- Ionic Footbaths: The ion foot bath is an energy-enhancing system that is designed to give the body the energy it needs for detoxification. It also helps to re-balance the body’s energy meridians by permeating and regulating each individual’s energy fields, which helps strengthen the immune system. It’s a full body detoxification without taxing the liver or kidneys. Helps with pain relief, removes heavy metals, neutralizes free radicals, boosts immune system, reduces fluid retention and increases joint movement.
- Infrared Sauna: The far infrared sauna applies a specific frequency range of radiant heat that is absorbable deep within the body tissue. It is a highly effective way to detoxify the heavy metals we are all exposed to, and according to Dr. Rogers, is the only way for the body to rid itself of the phthalates (plastics) which most of our foods and beverages are packaged in. Some of the benefits of using an infrared sauna; it helps with brain fog, decreases joint, muscle and headache pain, improves skin appearance, increases joint mobility.
- HOCATT: The use of ozone provides many benefits and works in conjunction with other HOCATT technology for optimal wellness and vitality. Ozone is known to inactivate viruses, bacteria, yeast, fungi, parasites, stimulate the immune system, speed healing, reduce inflammation, reduce pain, scavenge free radicals. Other benefits of the HOCATT include increased blood flow, relaxes muscles, and neutralizes blood toxicity.
- Lymphatic Massage Therapy: Massage is one of the oldest healing arts. Today, the benefits of massage are varied and far-reaching. As an accepted part of many physical rehabilitation programs, massage therapy has also proven beneficial for many chronic conditions, including low back pain, arthritis, bursitis, fatigue, high blood pressure, diabetes, immunity suppression, infertility, smoking cessation, depression, and more. And, as many millions will attest, massage also helps relieve the stress and tension of everyday living that can lead to disease and illness.
- Other detox therapies include Epsom salt baths, rebounding and dry brushing.
In today’s world, we are constantly reminded of what beauty should look like. Beauty truly starts from within, a healthy body, a strong immune system and a happy heart. If you are experiencing Breast Implant Illness, planning an explant surgery, or in the midst of recovering from this procedure, our knowledgeable and experienced staff is here to help!